Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pasta Sauce!

I saw a recipe on Food Network the other day and I had to try it. I have been looking for a good pasta sauce recipe for a while. I highly recommend this one with a few of my adjustments.

I began by roasting my eggplant and garlic. I left out the peppers, because we are not big fans of peppers. To roast the eggplant, you slice them in half and brush the cut side with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and salt and pepper. Place cut side down on pan. To roast the garlic, you cut the top of the garlic and put EVOO and rosemary on it. Wrap it in foil and place on pan with the eggplant. Cook at 475 for 40 minutes.



While that was cooking, I opened up 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes. The recipe calls for 1, but I wanted to make more sauce. I put those tomatoes in the blender and pureed them because we like a smooth sauce. I then put them in a pan on the the stove along with 2 cups of chicken stock. After the eggplant and garlic had cooled, I scooped out the eggplant and placed it in the blender with the garlic. I pureed them also and added them to the tomatoes.

Next I added the spices and let simmer. I also added 4 tablespoons of sugar.

My plan is to strain this sauce because we like it really smooth, and once it is cool put in 2 containers and store it for later. We will use it with spaghetti, lasagna, or maybe even as a pizza sauce. The total cost for this recipe was less than $4 because I had gotten the canned tomatoes on an awesome deal earlier in the year. You cant buy 2 cans of a good sauce for that! Plus, I know what is in this sauce. I controlled the ingredients.

Oh yeah, it even tastes good!

No comments:

Post a Comment